Stephanie Cesare Michele L. Kluk John A. Abom Craig E. Kauzlarich Corey J. Adamson Brian P. Platt

Our Lawyers - Your Local Lawyer - Harrisburg Law Firms - Offices in Carlisle, York, Chambersburg, Harrisburg


Q: How much will it cost to get divorced?

A: While there is no clear-cut answer, some things are definite, such as filing fees and costs. Each county sets the fees it charges to file a divorce complaint. In 2008, those costs are:

  • Cumberland County - $338.50 plus $26.00 for each additional count
  • Dauphin County - $227.00 plus $39.00 for each additional count
  • Franklin County - $130.50 plus $25.00 for each additional count
  • Perry County - $106.00 plus $10.00 for each additional count
  • York County - $195.00 plus $10.00 for each additional count
  • Lancaster County - $154.50 plus $34.50 for each additional count
  • Lebanon County - $.

Q: How long does it take to get a divorce?

A: A no-fault divorce, where the parties each consent to the dissolution of the marriage, will take at least ninety (90) days. A contested divorce may take two (2) years or longer to finalize.

Q: Is the home I owned before the marriage a marital asset?

A: The home may not be a marital asset but any appreciation in value between the date of marriage and the date of separation may be a marital asset.

Q: May I live with my spouse yet still be separated?

A: Technically, you may live with your spouse and be considered formally separated.

Q: How much will it cost to fight for the custody of my child?

A: There are filing fees associated with the filing of a custody complaint, which vary from county to county. In 2008, those costs are:

  • Cumberland County - $165.50
  • Dauphin County - $233.50
  • Franklin County - $76.00 plus an additional $200.00 if requesting a conciliation conference
  • Perry County - $97.50
  • York County - $255.50 with a Directive or $130.00 with a Stipulation
  • Lancaster County - $196.50 with a conciliation conference or $108.50 without a conference
  • Lebanon County - $.
  • Q: May I take my child and leave the state without a court's order?

    A: Relocation of a parent presents the need for a fact-finding determination by the Court. The trial court must consider the following three-prong test in relocation cases in determining under what circumstances a parent who has primary custody may relocate outside the jurisdiction:

    • The potential advantage of the move and the likelihood that the move will substantially improve the quality of life for the custodial parent and the children, and is not the result of a momentary whim on the part of the custodial parent;
    • The integrity of the motives of both the custodial parent and the non-custodial parent in either seeking the move or opposing the move must be established;
    • The availability of alternative, realistic, substitute visitation or partial custody arrangements must be explored, which will adequately foster an ongoing relationship between the child and the non-custodial parent.

    The moment a petition for divorce is served to you, or you have it served on your spouse, you need to contact the lawyers atAbom & Kutulakis, L.L.C.. We will use our everyday divorce litigation experience to bring your contested divorce to a fair and timely finalization. Our lawyers will help you prepare for the divorce, put all of your marital property in order and fight any disputes brought to the table with your well-being in mind. Call us today for a consultation and let us go to work for you!