John A. Abom
Jay is the managing partner of the law firm of Abom & Kutulakis, L.L.P. and in 2011 and 2012 was named Superlawyer. His practice focuses on State and Federal criminal law and real estate law. He is a Board Certified Criminal Trial Advocate by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. Jay represents clients who are accused of crimes in all Federal and Pennsylvania State Courts. He has been selected as a United States Criminal Justice Act Panel Attorney who represents indigent federal criminal defendants before the United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania, the Federal Third Circuit Court of Appeals, and the United States Supreme Court. Jay is recognized as being a death penalty certified criminal defense attorney in Pennsylvania.
In 2008, the Cumberland County Bar Association named Jay Chairman of its newly formed criminal law section.
In his five years as an Assistant District Attorney in Cumberland County, Jay prosecuted serious felonies, conducted grand jury investigations, assisted law enforcement with crime scenes, supervised the ARD program, and worked closely with lay and expert witnesses. Jay has successfully argued in the Pennsylvania Commonwealth, Superior and Supreme Courts. Prior to law school, Jay served as the Executive Director of the Pennsylvania Senate Transportation Committee.
Jay's experience as both a former prosecutor and a private criminal defense attorney leave him well prepared to defend the legal rights of people who are under investigation or are accused of a crime.
- J.D., Dickinson School of Law
- B.A., Brown University
- United States Supreme Court
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- All Pennsylvania Courts
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL)
- Pennsylvania Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (PACDL)
- Dauphin County Bar Association
- Cumberland County Bar Association
- Franklin County Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Greater Carlisle Area Chamber of Commerce
- Cumberland Valley Eagle Foundation
- Rugby Pennsylvania Board of Directors
- Cumberland Valley Boys Rugby Club
- Cumberland Valley Youth Rugby Association
- Eastern Pennsylvania Rugby Referees Society